The World’s 1st weed
suppressing tree guard
An innovative version of the traditional ‘tree guard’. Incorporating an efficient one step weed protection system, designed to increase seedling survival rates and reduce establishment and maintenance costs of tree planting projects.
- 100% biodegradable with a field life of up to two years
- Suitable for organic farming projects
- Reduced herbicide use
- No risk to terrestrial and aquatic wildlife from plastic guard residues
- Australian designed and manufactured
Better seedling survival rates
- Prevents seedling deaths caused by competition with weeds
- Reduces risk of herbicide damage during maintenance spraying
- Reduces risk of damage from slashing or brush cutting during maintenance
- Provides protection to seedlings from browsing animals
- Provides protection to seedling from frosts and other extreme weather conditions
- Simple installation – lower labour costs and higher productivity
- Efficient, one step weed protection – No need for installation of weed matting or mulch under the guard.
- No weed growth within the tree guard to slow down maintenance activities.
- Reduces maintenance and in some situations removes this task altogether.
- Speeds up maintenance weed spraying through shielding seedlings from chemical overspray
- Biodegradable – No labour intensive cost to remove old plastic guards from planting area.
- Ideal for use on riparian zones, flood plains and wetlands.
- Ideal for use on remote sites with limited access
- Broad acre and small-scale projects
- Ideal for organic growing
- Suitable for landcare, farming, mining rehabilitation, roadside planting, landscaping, forestry, bush regeneration and government agencies.
Suitable for general trees and shrubs
Suitable for smaller plants (eg) Lomandra species
Gropods are designed for one or two stick installation. We recommend two sticks for exposed or windy sites and one stick for more sheltered sites.
Bamboo Sticks – (Recommended sizes)
750mm x (12 – 14 mm) – standard
750mm x (16 – 18 mm) – added strength
500mm x (12 – 14 mm) – standard
500mm x (16 – 18 mm) – added strength
The gropod was invented by Humphrey Herington founder of Eastern Forest Nursery in Northern NSW. With 30 years of growing and planting native trees under his belt, the gropod innovation developed over 7 years, as a means of saving time, money and importantly improving environmental outcomes.
Australian Patent Application No. 2023203623